Sunday, March 29, 2009

Change of Plans

Well, yesterday didn't go quite as planned. At all. I ended up not going on the date unfortunately.

I went into work around noon thinking I just needed to do one quick thing and then at 1 someone was coming in to look at everything and I could just touch stuff up and leave. Well, 1 turned into 2:30 and I ended up staying there to fix stuff for our submission until about 7.

I texted my date around 6 saying I was still at work and might need to postpone until 9. When I got home, I texted again asking if he was still up for catching a movie tonight. Around 830 he finally sends me a message saying he was in the subway and at the gym, whens the next show start. I told him. It was closer to 10 by that point, so it was going to be a late show. He texted back saying he was pretty beat and asked if we could do it another time during the week.

I don't know if we'll be meeting up during the week, but I'd still like to meet this guy. I'm fine with cancelling last night too. Somehow work managed to throw my whole day off. This is why I don't really make plans for the weekend very often. Inevitably I'll get stuck going into work and it will just throw everything off. It's annoying.

So yeah, no date. Not too upset or anything. Just disappointed.

Oh and it's probably a good thing we cancelled too. Because, around 1030, I get a call from the 2 people who are apparently still at work saying they're having problems with the pdfs and printing and they tell me they really need me to come back in since I know my way through the files. I was a little annoyed to be going BACK into work on a saturday night, but it was also nice to be needed, and I think it looks good to be going the extra mile on a project that I haven't even been on for a full week.

4 comments:

Doomed But Cheerful! said...

Where do I start?

What a nice guy you are, so helpful. Ofc, if I were looking forward to going out with a guy who txtd me to say he was at work, can we make it later, I might be a tad miffed.

So what's all this overtime? Particularly unscheduled overtime ("I can't print my work, can you come in in the middle of the night ...?") Your employer needs to learn a little about the work/life balance, and get a life. Sure, work is satisfying, and good for social interaction, etc - but it's 'work' - not 'life'. It is wrong to let work dominate.

My last boss told us all that if we could not get our work done in 4 days a week, we were no good - he expected us to loaf at least one day a week - productivity increased overnight! We were also 'marked down' for being in too early or staying late. Of course, HE did his bit by ditching all the trivia and not taking on anything unless it was really worthwhile.

Maybe it is a Kiwi thing, but work hard to support your life, not the other way round! G =]

Godfrey said...

Well, in my defense, I did still want to go on the date. Just an hour later than we'd planned. We actually never set up specifics. 7 or 8 on saturday was as specific as it got, so I figured pushing it slightly later wasn't a huge problem. I also told him I had to work during the day, so I hope it didn't come as a surprise.

But I agree. I might be miffed too if a guy wanted to postpone. I'd still be excited to go though.

As for work, architecture is just a different world I guess. Some people are better at reeling it into a 40 hr work week than others. I didn't mind going in (well I don't in retrospect). It felt good to help out and make sure the submission went well. Especially when I'm the youngest salaried person in the whole office, it's good to be of value these days.

Doomed But Cheerful! said...

ugh - my bad (new expression I have just acquired!).

In my time I had so many COs who were totally work-focussed - it was only my last one who seemed to have any consideration for families and personal needs - it actually made me leave the army - I knoew I would never see his like again!

And i should also bear in mind that keeping a job in the US is not as easy as it was!

I hadn't realised you were in architecture - my schedule for you last date must have seemed patronising; it wasnt meant to be!

Anyway - I would encourage you to think about that work/life balance. And I hope the next date goes swimmingly!

[hugz] G =]

Anonymous said...

Some times things happen for a reason.
One time I passed on going on a date (out of town) with a new acquaintance and my ex called me from the hospital that night in need of my assistance.

I was there for him. And we wound up having sex too!