Sunday, December 28, 2008

Off the Fence

So I did something I wasn't expecting to do last night. I somehow decided that I would come out to my family. It all started when I was talking to this guy online. I'm back in the city, and super bored. Not many people are around and the ones who are don't seem to have a lot of free time. Ugh. So anyway I was talking to this guy, and I asked him if he was out to his parents. And so he told me about it and how well it went, and I guess it just hit me or something. Then he started asking why I hadn't told mine, and I really didn't have any good reason. I never did mostly because there just wasn't anything that made me want to. I've never had a real boyfriend, so I just felt like there wasn't any news to report. I don't really talk to my parents about personal things like that anyway. But after thinking it through and this guy kind of reassuring me that it was going to happen eventually, I ended up deciding to just do it. I wanted to tell my brother first. We don't really talk ever. He's only 2 years younger than I am. I sent him an email. I had it all written out and then just hit send. It was pretty scary and I didn't like having to wait for his response. Then I figured I would just go for it and call my mom. It was 10 pm on a Saturday night, but I called anyway. I was all ready to just say "There's something I want to tell you...". And wouldn't you know, it went to voicemail. Voicemail! The one time my mom isn't up late. Obviously I wasn't going to leave a voicemail. I half expected her to call back, but she didn't.

So this morning my brother emails me back. It said that they had already suspected it anyway and that it was fine and all. Pretty much what I expected to get, and what I would hope the response would be. Not much to say about it, I mean it's kind of just like saying hey I'm right-handed. I know it's bigger than that, but really it's just stating a fact. My mom didn't call me back today though. Also strange. But I'm taking it as a sign. I feel like the moment kind of passed anyway and getting it out to one family member for now is plenty. Maybe my brother and I will be a little bit closer now. Who knows. I'm not really hoping for anything to change. Quite the opposite really. I'd rather everything just be exactly the same but without having this thing hanging over me. I just wouldn't want to meet someone and want them to come to Christmas or something and not be able to do it.

So that's what's going on with me today. I've been extremely bored all day though. I tried to do a little shopping, but didn't see much. Then I went grocery shopping. That was pretty much all I did today. I kind of feel like just wandering around and going for a walk. Sitting around watching movies I've seen already on TV is starting to get a little old. How crazy is it that I'm kind of looking forward to going back to work. I'm so lucky I like my job. Wow, I must be bored if I'm starting to say things like that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

great story.
Good that your parents know about you.I never had the chance to tell mine. I think it's important that you tell your parents about your sexuality.

Col said...

Great blog! Your awkward "hello" cracked me up btw. It's great that you dd what you feel is right for you..eg; not sleep with somebody on the first date. Unfortunately I think it's an expectation nowadays, so good on you!

Good luck with coming out to your parents. Maybe your brother would've told her before you get the chance again?

I've added you on my blog.

Take care,
Col

J said...

maybe i should come off the fence too