Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Coasting

Does anyone else just get tired of the life they're living? Not that I don't like my life, but I think I'm getting into a rut and playing it a little too safe lately. I think the weather may have a lot to do with it though. These last couple weeks have just been so damn cold, that I haven't wanted to do anything. This weekend, which actually wasn't that cold, I literally couldn't think of a reason that I needed to leave my apartment on Sunday. Sure, I could go do stuff, but the things I actually felt like doing would have cost money, which I'm trying really hard to save right now. I think the whole lack of job security thing has just kind of put a damper on the last couple weeks. My life just feels very cautious at the moment, like I'm trying to play it a little too conservatively or something.

I'm almost envious of my friends who got laid off in some ways. They're heading in new and exciting paths that I'm sure when they look back on it, they'll be really glad that they had that push to change gears. I know that I'll be changing gears eventually though. I still have grad school to go back to, and that'll afford me the chance to potentially go down some new roads. I've always wanted to work in Europe, and I definitely think I will at some point. Coming to New York though, I just feel so at home. It would be hard to just pick up and leave with out some intermediate step or something.

On a side note, I'm such a TV geek. LOST this week was just awesome. Awesome! Some people might not have been as excited by it, but I'm currently watching Season 1 on DVD, so it's been on my mind the last couple days. Last year, when I moved to New York, I was staying with friends on their couch. They happened to all be watching Season 2 on DVD when I got there, so I was pretty much forced to start watching. Didn't really have any way to get away from it. Haha. So, I hadn't seen Season 1 and half of 2. But, having watched everything since then, it is still so much fun watching the older episodes. You pick up on a lot of stuff that probably made absolutely no sense if you were watching it from the start. I think I'm still just overly excited from tonight's episode. Sorry for boring anyone.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i hear you about the life being kinda boring thing - i feel that right now. but i think it also has its ups. it gives you some time to smell the roses so to speak.

so smell the roses :)

Doomed But Cheerful! said...

Not at all boring - though I seldom watch TV, and have no idea what Lost is; Friends are people and my dogs; and so on!
If I can't think what to do, I make chutney, or jam, or bread, or some bracelets for my friends (see above)- and put them aside for another time, like birthdays.
On the other hand, I envy you the Guggenheim, MoMA, and so on. Or just walking and looking in awe at the Flat Iron building and its like. I miss New York sometimes =]

TNC said...

I can echo your sentiments on getting into a rut and playing safe. I believe it's a result of people being comfortable with wherever they are in their lives, and there is anything wrong with being comfortable. Most people in the midwest and small town America are happy being in a rut and playing it safe, because it's comfortable. However, for those who are ambitious, comfort is not a place stay for long.

Perhaps you've been shaken up with the lay offs and financial instability the nation is experiencing and are therefore playing somewhat conservatively. There isn't anything bad about that, especially in this economy. As you said, you'll eventually change gears and have the opportunity to take some new roads.