Friday, January 23, 2009

Quiet Week

It's been a pretty quiet week. The office has felt very empty and I can tell that my energy is just down. More so than usual. I never realized that a lack of job security could weigh on you so much. I'm certainly not the only person in the office who's concerned. Pretty much everyone is. The only thing I have going for me is that I'm definitely the cheapest person they have. Which is good and bad I suppose. I'm not necessarily much of a designer. At least, I haven't really shined in that capacity in the year that I've been there. Model making and craft is something I'm extremely good at though, so I suppose that's of some value. Hopefully.

My friend came to visit this weekend. It was a good visit. Good to see him. My roommate was friends with him as well. It was good because I didn't feel the need to constantly entertain him. I guess I'm just kind of lazy / selfish like that. Haha. I think he had fun. Although, we could both tell that he seemed a little off. Before he left, he told us about some relationship stuff he's had going on recently. Poor guy is kind of in a tough situation at the moment. I didn't really know how to respond when he told me because it involved another friend of mine whom he has been dating. It was just a little awkward. Aside from that, we had a good time. Saw a lot of the city. Showed him the office. Went out to eat. All that good stuff. It was SOOO cold last weekend though that it made doing anything outdoors pretty unbearable.

Oh. And apparently he has known I am gay for a long long time. I didn't really pry as to how he "figured it out", but I do kind of wonder if it was something specific or just kind of putting the pieces together. I mean, I figure I'm a decent normal guy. Haven't had a girlfriend since ever pretty much. And I don't have any declared "interested in:" on facebook. I think it pretty much goes without saying that I'm gay. Haha. Anyway, he told me in an email he sent a day or two after he was back. He sent one to my roommate and I saying thanks for having him and also apologizing for any awkwardness. But then I also got a second one saying he was aware I was gay and just saying that he's obviously cool with it, blah blah blah. I'm glad he said it. One less person to worry about "coming out" to. I just don't like having to deal with the whole conversation and formality of it. Just ask me and I'll tell you the truth. Easy and over with.

I also managed to meet up with two of my friends who got laid off. Very sad that I'll probably hardly see them from now on. I really hope something big happens at the office and we can just hire people back on. I don't know if they'd take it, but it's my pie in the sky dream. Lol. They both seemed in better spirits. Just rolling with the punches. They're still young, so it's not like it's some crisis for them.

That's pretty much all that's gone on this last week. I'll probably be working this weekend at some point. :( But at least I guess I still have a job, so I should be grateful... I guess

2 comments:

TNC said...

Sometimes you don't have to explicitly come out, because given certain circumstances, people can figure it out. For example, if you are seen at a gay bar, I think it's pretty clear why you are there. There is no shame behind that, and it's wonderful.

Diary of a Mad Latino Man said...

I hate to entertain friends when they come visit me. Thank God I have independent friends that know how to entertain themselves. I pray that you don't get laid off, just keep working your little butt off and show them you love your job and you should be ok.

Love,
Peyton